Auto accidents can cause all sorts of injuries, some of which don't become apparent for hours or days after the accident. Luckily, your Chula Vista, CA, chiropractor, Dr. Steven Wachs, offers effective treatment for aches and pain caused by auto accidents.
Common auto accident injuries
Although you may not be able to sense movement when you're in a car, your body is actually moving forward along with the car. When the car hits an object, it stops suddenly. The sudden change in motion exposes your body to strong forces that can damage your joints, muscles, and soft tissues.
If you were in an accident, you may experience one or more of these injuries:
- Whiplash: Whiplash is particularly common after an auto accident. As the car jolts to a stop, your neck whips back and forth. The movement strains or damages muscles, ligaments, tendons, nerves, vertebrae, and spinal discs. Whiplash symptoms may include dizziness, nausea, fatigue, headaches, numbness, blurred vision, ringing in the ears, and pain in the neck, shoulder, arms, upper back, or hands.
- Soft Tissue Injuries: Even if you're wearing a seatbelt, you may be thrown around the car during the accident. Injuries to your muscles and soft tissues can cause pain and swelling and make it more difficult to move your joints.
- Concussions: Concussions can also cause head and neck pain, nausea, blurred vision, and fatigue, in addition to memory issues and sensitivity to light.
- Back, Neck, Leg, or Shoulder Injuries: The crash impact can damage joints, muscles, tendons, or ligaments in your back, neck, legs, or shoulders, causing injuries ranging from sprains to herniated discs to broken bones.
How a visit to the chiropractor can help
After auto accidents, it's a good idea to visit our chiropractic office. Your chiropractic will recommend a treatment plan that may include one or more of these treatments:
- Spinal manipulation to realign your vertebrae and improve blood flow and movements in your joints
- Soft tissue mobilization to relieve muscles spasms and pain, break up scar tissue, and speed healing
- Ice and heat therapy to decrease pain and loosen tight and painful muscles
Auto accidents don't have to cause lingering symptoms. Your chiropractor in Chula Vista, CA, Dr. Wachs, can ease your aches and pains. Call Dr. Wachs at (619) 427-4747 to schedule an appointment.